We all know that a modem serves the purpose of WiFi signal transmission between your ISP and home network. On the other hand, the router is known to disperse these signals to the client devices that remain uncovered by the signals emitted by the modem. Generally, a WiFi router connects to the modem via a LAN cable. However, Netgear took technology to an advanced level by launching its cable modem router. FYI, a cable modem router is a device that performs the functions of a modem as well as a router. One such amazing product brought in by Netgear is the Netgear C6300 router. This post talks about the installation process of this very cable modem router. So, if you have purchased one, walk through the steps given here.
Before You Begin Cable Modem Router Setup
Prior to the installation process, you are required to check whether the packaged contents i.e. cable modem router, power adapter, and the LAN cable are in good shape or not. Along with that, you are required to collect the following information:
- Account information of your cable Internet Service Provider.
- MAC address of your modem router (printed on the device’s label).
- If your ISP is Xfinity, consider downloading the Xfinity app from the app store of your mobile phone.
Now, let’s focus on the steps that can be used to complete the installation process of the cable modem router.
Steps to Install Netgear C6300 Router
The first step of setting up any networking devices involves creating connections. Given below are the steps that you need to follow:
- Turn off your existing modems and routers and disconnect them.
- In case you are replacing your existing modem, you must unplug it and plug in your C6300 modem router.
- Now, using a coaxial cable, connect the coaxial cable connector on the modem router to the cable wall outlet.
- The connection should be finger-tight.
- After that, connect the Netgear C6300 router’s power adapter and plug it into an electrical outlet.
- Wait until the Online LED turns solid green and stays in the same state for at least 1 minute.
- This process might take 10 minutes and your WiFi device may reset several times.
If even after 10 minutes, the Online LED does not turn green, you are required to check if the:
- Wall outlet is working
- Internet connection is fine from the ISP’s end
- The coaxial cable is non-damaged or not
In case any fault is found, you are required to perform a required workaround as soon as possible to get online. However, below we’ve highlighted the steps to complete the Nighthawk router setup and activate the C6300 modem router. Know that these steps will be of great help if your current modem is leased from Xfinity. In that case, you must contact them to remove your leased modem from the Xfinity service so that a new modem router can be added. Once done, follow the steps highlighted below:
Setup and Activation of Internet Services on Xfinity
- Make sure that your mobile is using cellular data (not the WiFi network).
- Now, open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID.
- Follow the steps to get online. It may take about 5 minutes.
- Now, launch an internet browser and access the 192.168.0.1 IP or the routerlogin.net URL.
- Go through the prompts and accept the terms and conditions.
- Thereafter, change the Netgear C6300 router admin credentials and answer security questions.
- Lastly, review your WiFi network name and password.
- You will be taken to the BASIC Home screen.
Set Up C6300 Router with Another Cable ISP
The previous section helped you know how to install and activate the modem router if you were previously using Xfinity services. In this very section, you will learn the steps to go about the process if you are using internet services from another provider.
- Connect your computer/laptop/mobile to the modem router’s WiFi network.
- To know the SSID and WiFi password, check the device’s label.
- Now, launch a web browser and enter routerlogin.net or 192.168.0.1 into the URL field.
- Thereafter, walk through the on-screen prompts to agree to the terms and conditions.
- In the final stage of the setup process, assign admin details and verify the network name and password.
- The BASIC Home page will appear.
The Final Words
Here, completes our guide explaining how to set up and install a Netgear C6300 router. We hope that you will be able to get your device up and running easily. However, keep the firmware of your device updated in order to avoid interruption in WiFi services.