Every LED light on your Netgear wireless router has a different meaning. If the LED on your device is blinking green, it means that everything is in good shape. However, if the LED on your router is blinking red, that’s when you should start worrying. But, relax! We won’t let you worry for that long because, in this post, we have mentioned some of the topmost tips that will help you troubleshoot the Netgear router red light issue in a jiffy. Thus, read on.
Why Are You Stuck with Netgear Router Red Light Issue?
There can be a plethora of reasons why the LED on your Netgear Nighthawk wireless router is blinking red. Some of the topmost factors are listed below:
- There is something wrong from the end of your Internet Service Provider.
- The connection between your Netgear wireless router and the existing modem is not stable.
- You haven’t updated the firmware of your Netgear wireless router by accessing the Netgear Nighthawk router login page.
- Your Netgear router is not receiving enough power supply from the wall outlet.
- The signals of your Nighthawk router are getting blocked.
Considering now that you are aware of the reasons behind the Netgear router red light issue, follow the troubleshooting tips mentioned below to fix it.
Troubleshooting Netgear Router Red Light Issue
1) Reboot Your Netgear Router
The first thing that you need to do is, reboot your Netgear Nighthawk router. Perhaps all that your device needs to get rid of the red light issue is a simple restart.
In order to reboot your wireless router, unplug it from the wall socket, wait for some time, and then, plug it back into the wall outlet.
2) Contact Your Internet Service Provider
If even after rebooting your Netgear router, you are facing the red light issue, consider getting in touch with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Ask him whether there is something wrong from his end. If he agrees, then give him some time to get the issue fixed.
3) Verify the Ethernet Connection
If everything is fine from the end of your Internet Service Provider, check the connection between your Netgear wireless router and the existing modem.
Is the Ethernet cable connecting them in good condition? If not, it is recommended that you get it replaced with the new one immediately!
4) Update the Firmware
Performing Netgear firmware update can also help you troubleshoot the Netgear router red light issue. Therefore, follow the guidelines mentioned below and learn how to update the firmware of your device to the latest version:
- Launch an internet browser on your PC.
- Type mywifiext.net in the URL bar of your internet browser and press Enter.
- Use the default username and password to log in to your device.
- Once the Netgear Nighthawk setup wizard appears, click Settings.
- Select Firmware Update and follow the on-screen instructions.
In this way, you’ll be able to update the firmware of your router to the latest version. If you get stuck at any point during the process, feel free to reach out to our experts.
5) Reset Your Netgear Router
If none of the aforementioned tips helped you troubleshoot the Netgear router red light issue, then wait no more, and reset your device. Here’s how:
- Locate the Reset button on your router.
- Press it carefully using a pointed object.
- Wait for some time.
Once you are done restoring your device to the factory default settings, do not forget to perform Nighthawk router setup.
Facing the Netgear router red light issue is quite common. However, if you follow the troubleshooting tips mentioned in this post, you’ll surely be able to fix it. For any further doubts and queries, contact our technical experts.